Experience a journey back in time as you travel from Wilderswil to Interlaken Ost to board a vintage cogwheel train. This magnificent vintage train, complete with wooden seats and conductors in uniforms from years gone by, will carry you up to Schynige Platte. Within an hour, you will reach the top and spectacular views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, Lake Thun, Niesen, Stockhorn and Jura will present themselves to you. Aside from the striking scenery, take some time to visit the Botanical Alpine Garden, the only one of its kind in Switzerland housing nearly 600 species of plants. If the active life is more your pace, this is the perfect place to hit the trails and discover nature on a hike. Feeling hungry? Enjoy the charming restaurant with terrace, and visit the mountain’s hotel! And a bonus, Swiss Travel Pass holders can enjoy all the amazing things to see and do on Schynige Platte for free! Don’t miss out on this one-in-a-lifetime excursion, memories are just waiting to be made!
Exclusive limited-time Summer offer: use promo code 4SUMMER19 to get HK$700 off bookings of HK$7760 or more. Offer ends 25 June 2019.
Experience the beauty of Schynige Platte on nostalgic ride
- From Interlaken Ost board the unique cogwheel train with vintage wooden seats reminiscent of its 1893 inaugural journey up the Schynige Platte
- Visit the Alpine Botanical garden
- Issued as a paper document
- Impressive views of Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau, and lakes Thun and Brienz
- Children under 6 travel free sharing adult passenger’s seat
- Discount offered with Swiss Travel Pass
• Includes round-trip travel from Wilderswil or Interlaken to Schynige Platte on board a unique vintage cogwheel train.
• The 52-minute journey brings you to the summit where the following activities can be found:
• The only botanical Alpine garden in Switzerland with 650 species of flowers.
• Impressive views of the Eiger, Mönch, Jungfrau and Lakes Thun and Brienz.
• Daily entertainment by costumed Alphorn players.
• Easy circular hiking trails.
• Mountain hotel and panorama restaurant with spacious terrace.
• Nature cinema and railway exhibition.
• Discounted fares are valid when traveling with a Swiss Half Fare Card and Eurail Pass that includes Switzerland, please refer to the type of pass you have when selecting your tickets.
• Free travel with a valid Swiss Travel Pass (use of travel day required).
• All child rates are valid for children ages 6 -15.
• Children under 6 are free.
• Children traveling with a Swiss Family Card are free when they travel with a parent or guardian that is traveling with a Swiss Travel Pass. Where noted below, please indicate the number of children that are NOT covered by the Swiss Family Card. Note: these children will be required to purchase a ticket.
• Train tickets and Swiss Transfer tickets are not valid for rail pass discounts.
• Tickets are valid for six months from the date of purchase.
• Operating daily starting 26 May, 2018.
• Cogwheel train operates daily every 40 minutes from 07:25 am to 04:45 pm. During bad weather, the schedule may be changed without prior notice.
• Prices are subject to change.
From our travel community
You may also be interested in
Common Questions, Simple Answers
Q. How do I request an exchange through the Rail Protection Plan™?
A. To apply for an exchange under the Rail Protection Plan™, please contact us via our Contact Us page. Rail passes/train tickets/reservations/city passes/tours may be exchanged for the same or new products.
Q. I received my e-ticket as a pdf but wasn’t able to print it. Can I print it at the station?
A. French print at home e-tickets can be re-issued from a self-service kiosk at the station. You will need the e-ticket # located on your booking confirmation email.
Eurostar print at home e-tickets can be re-issued at the Eurostar desk in the departure station, but there is a 15£ fee per ticket. You will need the e-ticket # located on your booking confirmation email.
No other print at home e-tickets can be re-issued at the station.
Q. Will the train cars be air conditioned/heated?
A. All European trains are fully heated and many are air-conditioned, as well.
Some regional trains servicing local villages for short distances may not have air-conditioning. In these situations, travellers are permitted to open the train windows.
Q. Can I exchange my train ticket after its date of departure?
A. Unfortunately, this is not possible. If a train ticket can be exchanged, it normally must be done prior to the first date of validity on the ticket or the train’s departure date. However, please consult the “after sales conditions” found on your confirmation email for exact exchange rules pertaining to the train ticket you booked.
Q. Can I purchase a rail pass when I'm in Europe?
A. In general, rail passes can only be purchased prior to your arrival in Europe and cannot be purchased locally. If you’re already in Europe and would like to purchase a rail pass, we may be able to assist you, please call us at 1-800-622-8600.
With international shipping, we can send your rail pass to Austria, Belgium, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Sweden, or Switzerland. The fee for orders sent to Europe is $40 USD or $45 CAD and delivery takes 3 to 7 Business days.
Q. What happens if I don’t fill out my rail pass before boarding the train?
A. Those who travel with a rail pass in which the travel date is not filled in the travel calendar box risk payment of a full fare ticket and a fine.
Q. Can I bring food and drinks on board?
A. Of course you can! Eating and drinking are permitted on all European trains.
You will also have the option to purchase food and drinks if the train you’re traveling on offers food services.
Q. I misplaced the printout of my print at home e-ticket. What now?
A. No problem. You can simply reprint your train ticket from any printer, as long as you can still access the pdf provided to you at the time of booking.
You can find links to the pdf in the confirmation email sent to you. Or if you’ve registered for an online account, you can access the booking in which the pdf link was contained in your dashboard.
The only exceptions are if you purchased a Thalys or NTV-Italo print at home e-ticket. Those pdf’s are sent in separate emails and can’t be retrieved online at this time.
If you request to have your train ticket reprinted at a station ticket window, there may be a local service fee.
Q. My plans have changed and I won’t be able to use my rail pass. Can I get a refund?
A. You can submit your rail pass for a refund. Please be advised that there is a 15% penalty. Only unused and unvalidated (non-activated) rail passes can be refunded. The pass must be returned to Rail Europe, along with a brief letter mentioning the original reference number of the booking. It’s strongly recommended that you send these documents by some type of traceable mail for proof of delivery.
If you purchased the Rail Protection Plan™ and your rail pass is covered, you’re eligible to receive a credit for its entire value. No fee or penalty will be applied, and you can use this credit towards any future Rail Europe purchase within 2 years. Please read more about the Rail Protection Plan™ and for instructions on how to file a claim.
Please visit our Cancellation and Refunds page for more information.
Q. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the Trenitalia (Italy) train?
A. First class on the Italian day train offers large, comfortable reclining seats, and Bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
Second class on the Italian day train offers generous legroom and Bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. (on major routes)
Frecciarossa high-speed trains offer four levels of service, accommodating all travel budgets. Choose from Executive, Business, Premium, and Standard class.
In Executive class, you’ll indulge in luxury and comfort including lounge access at the station, dedicated car with just 8 luxurious reclining leather seats, convenient meeting area to conduct business, gourmet meal served at your seat, open bar, and more.
Business class also provides an upgraded level of service with plush leather reclining seats, welcome drink & snack, and platform check-in.
In Premium class you’ll experience the services of 1st class in a 2nd class seat, including a welcome drink & snack, sleek leather seating, and more.
Lastly, Economy class is a budget-friendly 2nd class seat, offering a comfortable reclining cloth seat.