UK TrainsUnited Kingdom: National Rail
- London - Edinburgh: 04:19
- Book early, save up to 60%
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High speed trains
UK trains link all Britain from London to Oxford, Glasgow to Edinburg and Cardiff to Birmingham etc.
Great Britain is full of contrasts, whichever direction you travel you will find a wide variety of landscapes. Hop on and discover the countryside by train in a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. From cosmopolitan and vibrant cities to historic places and their richness in heritage, trains will take you everywhere.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Along 15,795 kilometres of tracks, 23 Train Operating Companies work together for providing the most complete rail network. Long distance traffic, Regional and National lines, everything is made to ease each kind of rail travel.
With its 14 terminals from which the main lines connect to the other parts of Great Britain, London is the hub of the UK rail network. The large choice of schedules will be the opportunity to tailor-make your journey and easily plan day trips to visit Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton or Windsor in one day from London.
From East to West or North to South, and although a few of them are High Speed trains, UK rail network trains run all year long and offer quick connections across the regions. Here are some examples of routes and best travel times:
|London Paddington - Oxford||0h53|
|London Waterloo - Portsmouth||1h35|
|London St Pancras - Dover Priory||1h09|
|Cardiff Central - Birmingham New Street||2h|
|Glasgow - Edinburg||0h58|
|London||Stratford Upon A||01:59||HK$73|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- UK Trains tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
Before you board
Most of the stations are equipped with self-service ticket machines where you will be able to collect your Print @ the station ticket. First class is ideal for business travellers as well as for passengers who want to be pampered. First class tickets provide access to first class lounges in the main stations.
|First class||Second class|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board certain trains. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
Q. Under train tickets and schedules, does the fare represent a per person rate or total for everyone?A. Our "Train Tickets and Schedules" section calculates the total cost of your outbound journey first, and it includes the cost for the number of people that you specify. Once you choose an outbound journey, the costs of the return journey appear.
- A. The minimum check-in time for passengers with Business First tickets is 20 minutes. For passengers boarding ski trains, and passengers holding regular tickets, check-in time is 30 minutes.
- A. A rail day lasts from midnight to midnight. You can take as many trains as you wish during this time.
- A. Timetables for European Train schedules can be difficult to read and determine what the trains are running. For fast and easy schedule results view our train times on our Train Tickets and Schedules page to view each route.
- A. Not presently but as soon as European railways introduce e-tickets, we will be able to offer them.
- A. From Germany, several cities in bordering countries can be reached. The Intercity Express (ICE) goes to Brussels, the DB Expressbus to Prague, the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Kufstein and Innsbruck and the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Bolzzano/Bozen, Verona, Bologna and Venice.
- A. A Eurail Select Pass offers you unlimited travel on the national rail networks of any 3, 4 or 5 adjoining countries that are connected by train or ship. These countries are to be chosen from a list of 24 participating countries.
- A. First class on the TGV France-Italy offers large, comfortable reclining seats and a bar-buffet car offering a complete selection of food and beverages for purchase. Second class on the TGV France-Italy offers generous legroom and bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages for purchase.
- A. ICE trains link major German cities from Cologne in the west to Berlin in the east. But they also cross borders and go into France, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands.
- A. A saver pass is a discount rate for a group of 2-5 passengers traveling together at all times. All names will be printed on a single pass, therefore passengers will not be able to travel independently.
answered | Posted by Ramon T. | Comments 0 | Created: 09/06/2016
answered | Posted by Rafique D. | Comments 0 | Created: 18/01/2016
answered | Posted by Darshan P. | Comments 0 | Created: 12/12/2015
answered | Posted by Vandana A. | Comments 0 | Created: 02/12/2015
answered | Posted by Carlos O. | Comments 0 | Created: 01/12/2015
Reviews & ratings UK Trains
Overall rating (145)
Overall appreciationExcellent 34% Very good 37% Average 21% Poor 2% Terrible 5%
- "Bristol to paddington direct" James g. 26/10/2016
This has historically been a painless journey and this one was no different. Continues to be a pretty punctual route, with just about enough seats to accommodate demand. Only concern would be if you were joining after Bristol, seat reservations weren't marked and it wasn't clear that the operator was honoring them at all. As the service starts in Bristol that was not an issue for me. Value for money Convenience
- "My experince with Rail Europe" Nili g. 23/08/2016
I believe my rating on all three categories sums it all.I certainly will continue to look out for Rail Europe as my first rail traveling ooption whenever relevant. Value for money Convenience
- "vocation " Yoav z. 18/08/2016
comlimentary WI FI could be provided for no fee , the train was on time clean and quiet although quite full both ways . Value for money Convenience
- "wonderful trip" Mao t. 16/08/2016
It was our first time to take rail in England. very enjoyable. Value for money Convenience
- "Very comfort." Chung Chiao c. 12/08/2016
Seats were comfortable. Staff was kind. The meal and beverages were nice. Value for money Convenience
- "London to Edinbrugh Express" Diana b. 27/07/2016
The trip was fast and comfortable. The workers on the train were polite and nice. The only issue was the fact that there were only a couple of times that the cart came and it was kinda expensive. Overall it was a quick ride and a pleasant one. Value for money Convenience
- "great journey" Buntaran l. 11/07/2016
we are really enjoying traveling with Virgin train, the service is excellent but unfortunately on the way back to London we missed the train and we can not utilize the tickets for the next schedule and we have to buy new ones only for lower class with special rate - being helped by the ticketing officer Value for money Convenience
- "Carlisle to Euston" . 05/07/2016
Good trip, train was on time and good value for money. Easy to book and print tickets at station. Used to Swiss trains that are more spacious than the British ones, but no complaints.
- "my opinion" Wolfgang s. 04/07/2016
It was a short trip, the Train was on time, the stuff friendly and the Train was very clean Value for money Convenience
- "Unclean toilet" Wai Yin t. 26/06/2016
The toilet is quite terrible!!!!!!!!! Should be improved. Value for money Convenience
- "Brilliant Trip" Norman g. 24/06/2016
This was our first time in the UK, so we were really nervous about a train trip...the station and staff were excellent, easy to find our way around and then the trip was excellent. The train was comfortable, with good views and time went really quickly. Value for money Convenience
- "Great value for Money" Rajagopalan k. 13/06/2016
The trip was very comfortable. The tickets were so cheap that even my relative who lives in Birmingham was surprised how cheap it was. Value for money Convenience
- "Terrible first experience" Mei Fong s. 08/06/2016
There were no seats available and we had to stand throughout the journey. The train was so packed that finding a place to stand on the aisle is also a problem. People were stepping on each other. A group of rowdy passengers were drinking and yelling on top of their voices. We should have been advised at the ticket counter that if we can't find seats we can take a later train. Being first timers, we didn't know we could do that. In addition, the train was delayed and we reached Edinburgh more than 30 minutes late. We have submitted our claims for refund of tickets costs. Hopefully the claims will be processed fast. Value for money Convenience
- "Great trip" Baoxian h. 04/06/2016
Easy to book and get around Value for money Convenience
- "To London from Harwich" Lindsay Allan d. 03/06/2016
Acess to the train from The overnight ferry was excellent... We has a pleasant enough trip but when it started to fill up with commuters travelling to work our suitcases became an issue.... Maybe a luggage rack needs to be set aside. Value for money Convenience