- Paris - Amsterdam: 03:17
- Book early, save up to 70%
- Book up to 90 days in advance
- High Speed trains
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
Thalys, high speed trains and best way to travel between Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam and Cologne.
Thalys, the famous red train, connects Belgium and France but also other countries like the Netherlands and Germany. The Thalys is a high speed train which can operate at a speed of up to 300 km/h. Travel durations are relatively short, making it the preferred solution to commute between France, Belgium and the Netherlands. With frequent services – up to 23 daily returns between Paris and Brussels alone – it’s easy to add another destination to your itinerary with Thalys.
You can buy your public transport tickets from the bar-buffet whilst on board.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Thalys offers direct and high-speed services between Brussels, Paris, Amsterdam and Cologne. Aboard Thalys trains you can reach city centres in the pure tradition of comfort and service at high speed.
|Paris - Brussels||1h22|
|Paris - Cologne||3h14|
|Paris - Amsterdam||3h18|
|Paris - Düsseldorf||3h47|
|Brussels - Amsterdam||1h53|
|Brussels - Cologne||1h47|
|Brussels - Düsseldorf||2h20|
|Antwerp - Amsterdam Schiphol||0h57|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Thalys tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Print @ home
Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.
Print @ Station
Go to a self-service ticket machine and enter your reference to retrieve your ticket. Skip shipping fees.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Feeling like taking an extensive break in the Old Continent? Thalys high-speed trains could take you between France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany with style and comfort at speeds of up to 300 km/hr.
Experience the service
Railway stations served by the Thalys trains are modern structures with essential services for travellers.There is no check-in prior to boarding the Thalys trains. You can board the train with your ticket only and without any formalities. Thalys have multi-lingual staff on board.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
|Taxi reservation Pre-book a taxi and don’t waste time when you get off at your destination. At an additional cost. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
Meal services on Thalys trains
- In 1st class you receive a full meal on board Thalys trains, in the comfort of your own seat. Meals served are breakfast, lunch and dinner and include a choice of drinks, cold starter and main course, bread and dessert. In 2nd class you have full access to the bar buffet, which offers (you) a selection of food and beverages, as well as organic and fair trade products. Whichever class you travel on Thalys, and whatever time of day it is, you know that you will not be hungry!
Stay connected with Thalys!
- WI-FI connection is available on board all Thalys trains, so that you can work as you travel, or be in touch with friends and family via your computer. This service is complimentary for 1st class passengers and also available for 2nd class passengers. So if you need to stay connected you can – keeping continuity in your busy work day or organising your social life for the evening!
Thalys helps you get to "Any Belgian Station"
- Thalys works very closely with the SNCB train network to ensure good coordination and continuity of service. The “Any Belgian Station” fare includes both the Thalys and the Belgian leg of the journey, at a minimal extra cost, and is valid for two days either before or after your Thalys journey. You have no need to book a reservation for the local Belgian train ride – as you can imagine, this fare is convenient and saves time! Let Thalys help make travelling in Belgium easy for you!
Travelling with a Thalys train, or the red train as it is also called, means having an hassle-free journey with a touch of style and sophistication.
Interactive Rail Map
Q. What is the difference between 1st and 2nd class on the Thalys (Paris to Brussels and Amsterdam)?A. First class on the Thalys offers large comfortable reclining seats and drinks and a light snack served at your seat. Second class on the Thalys offers generous legroom and a selection of drinks and snacks at your seat that are available for purchase.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. There are no check-in before boarding a Thalys train and ticket control and passport checks will occur onboard the train. Also worth remembering that children less than 12 years old travelling alone are not accepted on board Thalys trains.
- A. You will be able to book a Thalys ticket 90 days in advance.
- A. When travelling with Thalys, you can carry a maximum of two suitcases per paying passenger (the largest side must be equal to 85 centimetres) and one item of hand luggage.
- A. Thalys trains offer two classes of travel: 1st class with Comfort 1 and 2nd class with Comfort 2. In Comfort 1, reclining seats will offer you a high level of comfort. Sockets for laptop or mobile phone are also available on some carriages as well as free newspapers on major routes. Wi-Fi is free in Thalys Comfort 1 and in 2nd class with flexible tickets. In 2nd class (Comfort 2), you will get access to a bar-buffet car offering food and refreshments for purchase. Wi-Fi is available at an additional cost in second class for more restrictive tickets.
- A. You can print your Thalys ticket directly from your printer at home or retrieve it from the self-service machines available in FRANCE ONLY before boarding your Thalys train.
- A. Like most high-speed trains in Europe, you need to make a booking when travelling with Thalys. Passholders with passes covering the whole Thalys route (Eurail Global Pass, Eurail Select Pass including France, Benelux or Germany, depending on the route, Eurail and Benelux-France) benefit from special Passholder fares. Just bear in mind that some passes covering partially the Thalys sector like France Rail Pass but also Eurail passes including Benelux-France / France-Germany / France-Italy / France-Spain / France-Switzerland / Benelux also offer special Passholder deals. German Rail Pass is not valid on Thalys routes to Germany.
- A. Also known as the red train, Thalys trains link Paris to the gems of Northern Europe: Brussels in 1 hour and 22 minutes, Amsterdam in 3 hours and 18 minutes, and Cologne in 3 hours and 14 minutes. On a seasonal basis (from the end of December till mid - April), Thalys Snow travels from Brussels Midi to the ski resorts in Chambéry, Albertville, Moutiers, Aime-la-Plagne, Landry and Bourg-St-Maurice, every Saturday without any stops.
- A. In Comfort1 (First class), drinks and meal are included in the price of your Thalys ticket and served at your seat. Meal includes a choice of drinks, cold starter and main course, but also bread and dessert. In Thalys Comfort 2 (second class), you will get access to a bar-buffet car which offers a variety of food and refreshments.
answered | Posted by LiYing C. | Comments 0 | Created: 11/01/2017
answered | Posted by Abhushan S. | Comments 2 | Created: 04/01/2017
answered | Posted by fernando p. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/12/2016
answered | Posted by Jameelah R. | Comments 0 | Created: 13/12/2016
answered | Posted by Amit T. | Comments 0 | Created: 16/10/2016
Reviews & ratings Thalys
Overall rating (1096)
Overall appreciationExcellent 44% Very good 35% Average 16% Poor 3% Terrible 2%
- "Be sure to board early." Brian w. 03/01/2017
The train was very clean and comfortable, with seat allocated on the ticket so there's no confusion as to which car you should board and/or which seat to head to. I however highly recommend being at the platform at least 15 minutes before departure time as the train leaves very punctually, and there is usually a mad rush to board beforehand. There is also VERY limited luggage room, so for those carrying a lot of luggage, be early so as to get storage space for your bags. Value for money Convenience
- "Trip To Amsterdam from paris" . 02/01/2017
It was a grate experience, very comfortable.
- "Amsterdam to Paris " Poh Kian c. 17/12/2016
The train was on time, and the journey smooth. Value for money Convenience
- "Smooth Trip" Afzaldeen t. 16/12/2016
the trip was very smooth and all of enjoyed the journey Value for money Convenience
- "Wonderful " . 11/12/2016
Booked tickets for family of 4 (3 months earlier) for Amsterdam Paris
- "nice seat and hospitality :)" Kanako o. 11/12/2016
I took Thalys from Paris Nord to Bruxelles Midi. The seat was big enough, and really nice,comfort! :) The meal (light meal) was nice....we could choose sweets or sandwich ...I choose sandwich,and beer.Both tasted nice. Oh,and crew was really friendly and nice! :D If I have opportunity,I really want to take Thalys again :) Value for money Convenience
- "Nice " Olivier f. 28/11/2016
It was a nice trip. The train was on time, comfortable seat with a good atmosphere . It is definitely value for money and a very convenient way of travelling across Europe. Value for money Convenience
- "Enjoyable trip" Adewale p. 26/11/2016
The train was on time and clean. Value for money Convenience
- "Delivered as expected" Jaco v. 24/11/2016
Rail Trip met the business needs. Thalys provided travel options at the right times for me. Prices were reasonable. Value for money Convenience
- "All ok" Marta c. 21/11/2016
All ok Value for money Convenience
- "Pleasure trip by Thalys" Mohammed s. 19/11/2016
It was a great experience for the first time I travel by train in Europe Thank you for the wonderful service I look forward to travel again by Rail Europe Value for money Convenience
- "Europe Trip with RailEurope" Janice b. 15/11/2016
I really had a convenient trip when I bought tickets in advance for train in RailEurope. I didn't worry on buying tickets during my journey while I was there. It was really a time saving for me since I only have limited time there. Since I do have my ETD from Amsterdam to Ghent I sticked to my schedule which helped me alot not to delay my journey. I already had my mind set to be early to the station. All you have to do is hop on hop off on the train and look for the train connection to the next journey. If you are in doubt there are counters which you can check your next journey. One thing I like on my next trip from Ghent to Brussels was the flexible time, because when you still love to explore you will not worry that you'll be late on your next trip. Just be sure you always have your ticket for the inspector. They are strict on checking the tickets. I would definitely buy again in RailEurope if I still want to go to other places in Europe. Kudos RailEurope Team! Value for money Convenience
- "Good" Kelvin l. 14/11/2016
Very happy with trip. Perhaps a little too expensive. But was certainly easy stress-free and convenient. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Service" David h. 11/11/2016
On time, comfortable, helpful personell Value for money Convenience
- "Good Train" Omar e. 06/11/2016
Keep it up. Value for money Convenience