Why choose us?
900,000 travellers in 2012
N° 1 distributor of train tickets.
Helpful travel experts
Our dedicated staff at your service.
All of Europe, one place to buy your tickets!
Rail Europe Travel+
Free coupons, train travel guide and more.
Member of Trusted Commerce program.
Need assistance planning ?
Spanish Day trains
Review and ratings (2910)
Experience comfort and style, upgrade to 1st class!
Find a point to point ticket
Spanish Day trains network
Traveling through Spain is an enchanting experience on an AVE high-speed train. You’ll enjoy your journey on the most modern train fleet in Europe, and also benefit from attentive service in all classes of travel. In fact, it’s so popular (251,754 passengers in July 2009) that air-passenger traffic on the route has dropped almost 40% in 18 months.
The full name Alta Velocidad Española literally means Spanish High Speed, and is also a play on ave, the Spanish for bird. The trains definitely stay true to their name, reaching speeds of up to 300km/h (186mph).
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations for the Spanish AVE Train include Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona and Malaga.
|Madrid – Valladolid||1h 11|
|Barcelona – Zaragosa||1h 29|
|Madrid – Cordoba||1h 44|
|Madrid – Sevilla||2h 20|
|Madrid – Barcelona||2h 38|
|Madrid – Malaga||2h 40|
|Barcelona – Valencia||2h 59|Barcelona Madrid 02:30 HK$397 Madrid Lisbon 09:30 HK$258 Madrid Seville 02:20 HK$344 Bilbao Madrid 04:47 HK$204 Lille Calais 02:28 HK$677 Granada Seville 03:03 HK$301
The AVE trains are a luxurious and efficient way to get around the country. With excellent customer service, punctuality and easy to understand fares, the AVE network continues to be a great boost to Spain’s tourism and business.
Booking & Ticket deliveryBooking :
- Spanish Day trains tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Ticket delivery option(s) :
|Print @ home||Print your ticket anywhere and anytime before your travel. Skip shipping fees.||Printing guide|
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Renfe is a modern and efficient railway system that offers every level of service in Spain. Among its services, it offers a high-speed rail called AVE, making travel in this country even more delightful.
Experience the service
Before you board
- May appear overwhelming, so make sure you get there early to figure out where you are meant to be and to have the time to seek out any help should you need it.
|First class||First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Club||Preferente||Turista|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>||√||√||√|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>||√||√||√|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>||√||√||√|
|Kid’s facilities Intuitive board games are available for children. small>||√||√||√|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>||√||√|
|AVE lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. small>||√||√|
|On board conference lounge Ideal for business travellers to conduct any urgent meeting. small>||√|
AVE trains offer 2 first class options called Club (Business Class) and Preferente (First Class).
- Club class and Preferente Class aboard AVE trains offer large comfortable reclining seats that make you feel at ease. A selection of video and audio programs at your seat will help you take your mind off any work you should be doing! Friendly staff will serve you drinks and light snacks at your seat.
- Dedicated to Business travellers, the Club class also offers an “à la carte” menu. Travel and work in style: the Club class offer leather seats. This class of service also offers tables for each seat.
Travel in comfort even in 2nd class
- Tourist class (2nd Class) on the AVE offers generous legroom, a selection of video and audio programs at your seat and a bar-buffet car offering a selection of food and beverages. Like Club Class and Preferente, Turista Class also offers you puzzle for your children. There is also a dedicated family area for your enjoyment. Turista class offers good value for money, and you can also easily upgrade to 1st class- Club or Preferente.
- It is important to note that all classes offer facilities for disabled people. Other services for all include a bar-buffet car, phone booths, a nursery area and a meeting area.
Luggage Weight Limit
- To ensure the comfort of all passengers, there is a weight limit for individual baggage, which is fixed at 20 kg.
Travelling in AVE trains, operated by Spanish rail operator Renfe, means that you are going through one of the most enjoyable and relaxing travel experience.
Interactive travel map
0 | 10
Review and ratings
Overall rating (2910)
Overall appreciationExcellent 49% Very good 32% Average 12% Poor 3% Terrible 3%
"Better than flying"Michala n. 23/05/2013
This train was on time, very comfortable (I love the adjustable footrests), and the bathroom was clean as a whistle. I also loved the little info screen that told us how fast we were going. Value for money Convenience
"AVE Renfe Madrid-Toledo"Ken c. 20/05/2013
Brilliant service providing a quick, quiet, comfortable day trip , giving us plenty of time to see the sights of Toledo and be back in Madrid for evening meal. Value for money Convenience
"Fast train trip"Dawn l. 20/05/2013
We found the trip excellent although there was a 45min delay shortly before we arrived in Seville and because we did not understand Spanish we did not know why this happened. We seemed to be on a siding and 1 train passed in the opposite direction and then another passed in the same directin, which seemed a bit strange. We enjoyed the fast train experience. Value for money Convenience
"Easy and fast"Gadi a. 19/05/2013
Easy access to station, no waiting like at airport, train is fast and quiet, seats are comfortable and it arrives to the center of the city with easy access to metro. Value for money Convenience
"Comfort "Caroline m. 18/05/2013
Very comfortable and efficient service. Nothing to complain. Keep up the good service! Convenience
"Comfortable and enjoyable. "Stacey s. 17/05/2013
I was running late for the train as I had taken a longer than expected tube line, the train was locked and ready to leave as I arrived on the platform. To my disbelief the driver saw me and opened the doors to let me on, this journey was a crucial part of my trip so it would have caused great inconvenience if I hadn't been allowed to board. Truly grateful, an enjoyable 5 and a half hour trip with plenty of seat room, adequate refreshments, good temperature and a film shown also. Would use these services again. Value for money Convenience
"nice trip"Saif a. 17/05/2013
The train was good, clean and comfort The only issue is that the ticket was very expensive although we had booked it a month ago. Value for money Convenience
"Madrid to Lisbon train hotel"Jonathan g. 15/05/2013
Punctual. Friendly and helpful staff. No hassles I Had spare seat next to me but comfort for sleeping was impossible. I would consider a couchette another time. Not crowded in early May even Saturday night. Buying and using ticket easy. Value for money Convenience
"Much better than flying!"Janet b. 14/05/2013
The train journey from Madrid to Barcelona is just 3 hours. At a similar cost to flights (both of which you need to book in advance to avoid high fees) it's far preferable to travel by rail. The scenery is beautiful - up into the mountains around Zaragoza before diverting to the coast. The train itself is very modern - large, comfortable seats and plenty of room to move amongst them. Loads of luggage racks and good bathroom facilities - the one I used even had a full length mirror, which was a nice touch. I would highly recommend getting a train to Barcelona and booking on Rail Europe means you can avoid the confusing RENFE system. Value for money Convenience
"spanish train from seville"Susan f. 13/05/2013
Great website, easy to follow and good to be able to print tickets. The train trip was fine, except that on the website the information was that there would be a buffet service aboard. It was not, there was a vending machine, but we had planned to have lunch on the train so it was quite a hungry trip! Value for money Convenience
"Review trip "Lacrimioara Dorina h. 13/05/2013
Everything was great. Comfort and speed and views. Thank you Value for money Convenience
"highly recommend"Michal h. 13/05/2013
Fast and comfortable traveling Value for money Convenience
"Madrid-Barca"Niclas s. 13/05/2013
Very good. On time and comfortable. Value for money Convenience
"Mad to Malaga"Mohamed a. 13/05/2013
very nice trip i had from Madrid to Malaga, timing was perfect, seats were comfortable and it was an enjoyable trip. thank you for everything. Value for money Convenience