Railjet - Austria and beyond
- Budapest - Vienna: 02:36
- Book up to 60 days in advance
- High Speed trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Railjet - Austria and beyond
Railjet, modern Austrian high speed trains linking major cities of Austria, Germany and Hungary.
The modern, perhaps even futuristic Railjet trains are the new high-speed service from the Austrian Federal Railways (ÖBB). They operate at speeds of up to 230 km/h (143mph). The Railjet trains have carriages which as comfortable as luxurious. With modern equipment and generous compartment space, the Railjet guarantees a unique travel experience. The Railjet train snakes through the splendid Bavarian countryside as you approach the Alps. It winds by rivers and past farmland and wind turbines, offering truly breathtaking scenery throughout Austria.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Main destinations include Budapest, Vienna, Munich, Salzburg and Zurich, here’s an idea of the durations.
|Salzburg – Vienna||2h 45|
|Budapest – Vienna||3h|
|Munich – Budapest||6h 30|
|Vienna – Zurich||8h|
|St Anton Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:22||HK$462|
|Langen Am Arlberg||Zurich||02:12||HK$436|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- Railjet - Austria and beyond tickets are open for booking 60 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat Reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
A large range of services are available in stations including taxis, car rental, luggage storage facilities, shops, tourist information and assistance with your ongoing journey. 1st class passengers can use the Club Lounge at Vienna station to relax before departure.
|First class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||First||Economy|
|Passenger Information System Real time information about arrival times and connections. small>|
|Restaurant car Drinks, snacks and delicious meals, to make the most of your trip. small>|
|Kid’s facilities Children cinema are certain to keep younger ones happy. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Refresher towel Great way to cleanse, recharge and revitalize. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. small>|
|Newspapers and magazines Grab your free international/local newspaper or magazine and enjoy the ride. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Not presently but as soon as European railways introduce e-tickets, we will be able to offer them.
- A. Book 1 passenger at a time, and select the Single compartment. You will need to do this step twice, once for each passenger.
- A. Your payment details will be encoded and sent using a secure connection. You can check the security details by clicking with your right mouse button on the payment page and then selecting ‘Properties’. A window will pop up containing all connection data. The ‘Connection’ field shows that an SSL connection is used. Your credit card information, including the number and expiration date, will not be stored.
- A. From Germany, several cities in bordering countries can be reached. The Intercity Express (ICE) goes to Brussels, the DB Expressbus to Prague, the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Kufstein and Innsbruck and the DB-ÖBB Eurocity to Bolzzano/Bozen, Verona, Bologna and Venice.
- A. TGV trains offer high-speed train services connecting the major cities of France. Paris is 58 minutes from Lille, and Bordeaux is just under 3 hours from the French capital. Travel time between Paris and Marseille is 3 hours. And if you want to get to Strasbourg, it will take you only 2 hours and 20 minutes from Paris by TGV.
- A. In some cases. Normally, your bicycle must be boxed and placed in a separate car, or it might have to be transported on a separate train. Extra charges may apply, and you must arrange bike transport locally. Bikes are allowed as checked luggage on the EC, IC, ICE, and TGV trains. The bike must be wrapped, with the wheels and pedals detached, and the handlebars parallel to the frame.
- A. Validation of your pass is having a Rail Official at the train station stamp your pass as valid.
Q. Is it possible to purchase a 2nd Class Eurail Select Pass instead of a 1st Class Eurail Select Pass?A. Eurail Select Pass is only available in 1st Class for adults and children. Eurail Select Youth Pass is offered in 2nd class to travelers under age 26.
- A. The standard of amount of luggage is 2 large items per person. Trains have either overhead storage racks throughout the car, storage room behind the back of your seat or luggage areas at the end of the car. There is no porter service available and all passengers are responsible for putting their own luggage on the train. Note: Luggage kept by the passenger and placed in the luggage racks remains under the sole responsibility of the traveler. The railroads assume no responsibility in case of loss, damage, or theft.
- A. If you are having trouble determining what is the best pass for you, click on the blue square button " Search passes ". You'll be helped, on line, to select the best pass for your trip.
answered | Posted by Madhu M. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/03/2017
answered | Posted by Anisha A. | Comments 2 | Created: 19/12/2016
answered | Posted by israel m. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/12/2016
answered | Posted by Tatev S. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/11/2016
answered | Posted by Ling n. | Comments 0 | Created: 05/11/2016
Reviews & ratings Railjet - Austria and beyond
Overall rating (65)
Overall appreciationExcellent 32% Very good 37% Average 20% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
- "clean " Ayuk y. 06/02/2017
very clean and comfortable but wifi wasn't good Convenience
- "Christmas Vacation from USA" Rodney f. 08/01/2017
The train ride was very good except for the luggage aspect. If you have multiple bags (which people from the US on a long trip may have) then it's difficult to find space to store your luggage and no one is assigned to help out. There were many people who didn't have seats. Thankfully, my wife and I booked assigned seats. Value for money Convenience
- "Straightforward trip" Sharnjit g. 25/11/2016
The tickets came on time although you may wish to consider online tickets :) The train was fairly easy to find. It was a busy service but fairly comfortable. The wifi was terrible and it stopped at one station for so long, I think I could have walked the entire length of the train a few times! Value for money Convenience
- "Fantastic" William d. 15/11/2016
The only way to travel in Europe, no security checks, no arriving two hours before departing, comfortable seats, fantastic service. Fares were very reasonable for first class travel. We wish it was that easy to travel in Canada. Value for money Convenience
- "Best way to travel in Europe" Donald m. 26/10/2016
Train carraige clean and comfortable, Quality of food and service very good. Most important it runs on time to schedule. Value for money Convenience
- "Budapest- Vienna trip review" Chintan k. 26/10/2016
all in all a very enjoyable experience. Value for money Convenience
- "Business trip" Choo t. 06/10/2016
A very quiet and comfortable ride, beautiful scenery along the way. The seating are well organised. Seats are clean and seat no is easy to find. Very pleasant ambient. Value for money Convenience
- "Europe trip" Gary n. 27/09/2016
The biggest difficulty was with luggage. My wife said she traveled first class on another carrier and though this was comfortable, it didn't seem so first class. Seemed more like comfortable business class. Value for money Convenience
- "Amazing service" Haris k. 24/09/2016
I travelled from Zurich to salzburg. It was amazing conveniance as well as comfort. Scenery was great as well. However I used first class train that should have been more spacious and reclining seats should have been with leg cusioning as well Value for money Convenience
- "Convenient,clean and reliable" Balachandran p. 22/09/2016
This trip of about 2 hours Value for money Convenience
- "The better option for tourists" Balachandran p. 22/09/2016
The train service was very comfortable, clean and with excellent service for breakfast served at one's seat in the first class coach.Picture windows afford a wonderful view of the passing countryside while free wifi keeps you connected to the world ! would definitely recommend this is an option. Value for money Convenience
- "Comfortable " Anil Kumar j. 19/09/2016
Had a wonderful experience Value for money Convenience
- "Vienna_salzburg" . 17/09/2016
No issues. Train very nice. Spacious seating. On time
- "Convenient. Trouble boarding. " Ashlee c. 29/08/2016
My cousin and I arrived at the platform about 20 minutes prior to departure. We reserved our seats when we purchased our tickets, which I recommend! Boarding was very difficult. There are no rail attendants or cart attendants so tourists are helping one another figure out what to do. The carts are not noticeably marked but luckily, we boarded the cart our reserved seats were on. Many people have luggage and there isn't much space so people were literally pushed up against one another, in the walkways etc. trying to find their seats and a place for luggage. After about 15 or so minutes of craziness, everyone had a seat and it was calm. Value for money Convenience
- "comfortable scenic travel" George t. 21/08/2016
Would help to have information with the tickets re: availability of restaurant car for each leg (there was none on the 2nd leg) exact location of the initial train station The change of trains at Villach was very short. So, as it was between separate platforms, it was not friendly to the old or less mobile. Also, the information given by loud speaker on the train was no easy to understand, and no immediate information was given on the arrival platform that was easy to access for those not used to the local signs and systems. Value for money Convenience