- Book up to 90 days in advance
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
ICE, high speed trains. Best to visit all major cities in Germany, like Munich, Berlin, Frankfurt etc.
ICE stands for Inter City Express – the high speed passenger trains operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB), the Germany state railway company. The ultra-modern ICE trains are amongst the most technologically advanced and comfortable trains in Europe. ICE trains offer international connections including Switzerland, Austria and the Netherlands. Within Germany, frequent ICE trains connect Germany’s major cities, such as Cologne, Hanover, Berlin, Munich and Stuttgart. On these trains, you’ll find a viewing gallery behind the driver’s compartment, meaning you can experience every twist and turn with a bird’s eye view. Whilst onboard ICE train, it’s possible to pre-book porters or taxis to meet you on arrival. All announcements are made in German and English on board the ICE trains. Information displays inside each carriage show the ICE train’s destination, carriage number and the next station stop. If you’re travelling with children aboard ICE trains, make the most of the small play area in the dedicated children compartment.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Within Germany, ICE trains connect 32 major cities. Example travel times are given below:
|Zurich – Stuttgart||2h 42|
|Frankfurt – Munich||3h 10|
|Frankfurt – Hamburg||3h 36|
|Cologne – Berlin||4h 16|
In addition, ICE trains connect Germany with France, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands, amongst others.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- ICE tickets are open for booking 90 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
ICE trains first class ticket holders can use the DB lounges in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich, where they will enjoy newspapers and magazines, free drinks and internet access.There is no check-in prior to departure of ICE trains. When travelling to an international destination usually outside Germany, your ticket and passport will be checked once on board.
|First class||Second class|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
|Audio system Listen to your favourite tune while enjoying the passing landscape. small>|
|DB lounges at station Get the ultimate treat before any trip, or simply an ideal place to continue working. DB lounges are in Berlin, Hamburg and Munich. small>|
|Video screens Ideal for entertainment, some coaches are equipped with screens. small>|
|Power sockets Ideal to plug your laptop, phone or any electronic device from your seat. small>|
|Meal and drink A delicious meal and drinks are served at seat on board. small>|
|Quiet zones Be seated comfortably and without any disturbance in reserved quiet zones. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Snacks and beverages Whenever you feel peckish, you can buy something on board to eat or drink. small>|
|WiFi Internet Enjoy the freedom to read your emails, surf and listen to online music thanks to the wireless internet on board. Available on certain trains only. small>|
See train travel from an entirely new point of view!
- Aboard the latest generation of ICE trains (ICE 3, ICE T and ICE TD) you will benefit from a panoramic lounge at the end of the train: discover the countryside from another perspective and in style and comfort. ICE high-speed trains will help you have a completely different travel experience!
Music, video and news
- Whether you are in 1st or 2nd class, the ICE trains offer an audio connection integrated into the seats. You can choose between three radio stations, the children’s channel and ICE musical programmes. Upgrade to 1st class! Some first class coaches aboard ICE trains feature individual video screens at your seat.
Eat at anytime of the day, you are on holidays!
- Aboard all ICE trains you will find a Bordbistro and/or Bordrestaurant. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, the Bordrestaurant gives you the choice between different set menus or “à la carte” main dishes, consisting of German and European specialities. The Bordbistro serves snacks and a wide selection of beverages to be consumed at your seat or in the Bordbistro. In ICE trains 1st class coaches you can benefit from an “at your seat” service for a selection of beverages and meals from the menus.
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Sleeping accommodations vary according to the train and route. The most common compartments are Singles, Doubles and Couchettes. Some offer T3, T4, and Deluxe sleepers.
- A. You can use your Eurail Select pass on the national rail networks of the adjoining countries chosen when buying your Eurail Pass. Here is the list of the countries participating to the program: Austria, Benelux, Bulgaria, Croatia-Slovenia, Czech Republic Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Montenegro-Serbia, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland.
- A. No you can’t. You need to buy your Swiss pass before coming to Europe.
- A. Eurostar Business Premier passengers will be offered a 3-course meal with refreshments at seat meanwhile in Standard Premier, you will get a light and cold meal with refreshments at seat. A bar buffet car with a selection of food and beverages for purchase is also available on Standard class.
- A. A saver pass is a discount rate for a group of 2-5 passengers traveling together at all times. All names will be printed on a single pass, therefore passengers will not be able to travel independently.
- A. The best-selling Eurail Global Pass offers unlimited, 1st Class train travel in 24 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Bulgarian Denmark, Finland, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, France, Ireland, Italy, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Luxembourg, Romania, Slovenia, Portugal, Slovakia, Switzerland, Spain, Sweden and Turkey. Choices range from 15 consecutive days to 3 months of travel or 10 and 15 flexible days within a 2-month time period, plus money-saving Eurail Global Pass bonuses. The Eurail Select Pass provides unlimited train travel for the duration you select in your choice of any 3, 4 or 5 countries that border each other, as well as attractive bonuses. Select from Austria, Benelux (Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands), Bulgaria/Serbia/Montenegro, Croatia/Slovenia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
- A. You can use your Swiss pass in the whole Swiss Travel System: in all trains, Postbuses, ships, buses and even trams.
- A. Located in the middle of the train (carriage 4 or 14), TGV Lyria bar provides a service for tasty snacks and meals: sandwiches, hot/cold local dishes, salads, children’s menu, hot and cold drinks, treats are available to eat at the bar or take away. In First class, you can also enjoy the convenience of Lyriapremière service at seat.
Q. What are the differences between Full Fare, Leisure Fare, Youth Fare, Passholder Fare and Senior Fare on Eurostar?A. Full Fare is an unrestricted ticket. It is fully exchangeable and refundable even after the departure date. For exchanges and refunds, your local Raileurope office must receive the ticket no later than 60 days after the train's departure date. Click here to get the Contact Us adress. Value fare is non-exchangeable and non-refundable. Youth Fare (for travelers under 26 years of age) is exchangeable once in Europe before departure date. It is non-refundable. Passholder Fare (issued in conjunction with appropriate railpass) is exchangeable once in Europe. It is non-refundable. Senior Fare (for travelers 60 years of age and over) is exchangeable once in Europe. It is non-refundable.
Q. Can I borrow my travel partner’s rail pass if I prefer visiting Prague and that my partner wants to visit Hamburg?A. No, this is not possible as the extension must be accompanied by your nominative rail pass bearing your passport number, name and country of residence.
Reviews & ratings ICE
Overall rating (181)
Overall appreciationExcellent 41% Very good 32% Average 18% Poor 6% Terrible 4%
- "Stuttgart to Hamburg" Peter m. 22/02/2017
A very pleasant trip Value for money Convenience
- "Good trip" Krishnaraj v. 15/01/2017
There were no other hassles as such. We felt that the price of the tickets were high. Value for money Convenience
- "Very nice experience with ICE" Nurhan Pinar t. 08/01/2017
These trains are very comfortable. They are also very fast. The journey we had from Munich to Stuttgart was very nice in general. Value for money Convenience
- "great" Ashish n. 07/01/2017
nice journey Value for money Convenience
- "Trip to Kolen from Amsterdam" . 02/01/2017
It was a good experience, difficult Part was finding the right compartment from the Amsterdam station. No officer was found on the plat form. Initially One train came, but my compartment number was not there, I went here and there, but no one was there to clarify. suddenly i saw 2 nd train has been attached with my compartment. I have to hurry with the time. This problem was not only for me but to other travelers as well. Need some mechanism to guide.
- "My trip to Nuernberg" Aahil j. 27/12/2016
It was my first time I go to Nuernberg .The train service was on time . the seat was comfortable .I had a chance to buy coffee from the rest wagon ,and the trip was enjoyable Value for money Convenience
- "First Class" . 16/12/2016
Travelled in first class carriage,the seats were adjustable, so comfort assured. Train was on time. Staff were polite and helpful. As part of our holiday is was a very enjoyable experience.
- "Ease and Comfort" Ruth c. 10/12/2016
Thank you Rail Europe. I did not experience any problems in this trip. You are on time, clean, and helpful-friendly employees. Value for money Convenience
- "great trip" . 04/12/2016
- "Enjoyable Ride from Munich" Chaw Sing h. 28/11/2016
I took the ICE train from Munich Central Station to Frankfurt Airport. The total journey took about 5 hours, an hour longer than scheduled due to weather elements and stops along the way. The ride was comfortable, very affordable and extremely convenient. The Wifi was not working for some reason but I had dataroam so was not a problem. There was refreshments (add-on) and the seat was very comfortable. I would recommend this to flying if you can afford the time as you can view the scenery and the different towns it stopped along the way. Value for money Convenience
- "Beautiful ride" David c. 27/11/2016
Train from Hamburg to Copenhagen. Beautiful ride, including 50 minutes on a ferry. Clean train. On time. Nice scenery. Value for money Convenience
- "Train from Frankfurt to Berlin" Rachel h. 16/11/2016
Our trip was very nice. Comfortable, clean train. Only challenge was printing the tickets in Frankfurt. Once accomplished—a lovely ride. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Service" David h. 11/11/2016
On time, comfortable, helpful personell Value for money
- "Great experience." . 07/11/2016
Train ride was very comfortable and it was also very convenient to be able to check-in on to a Lufthansa flight at a counter just next to the train station, without having to queue in line at the at the airport at Frankfurt - great idea
- "Frankfurt Airport to Stuttgart" . 01/11/2016
Excellent on-time service, friendly train administrator who handed out some snacks and smiled. Very good.