German trains: Intercity (IC)
Save HK$250 with code EUROPE1738 - book 3 months in advance
Save HK$165 with code EUROPE1722 - book 2 months in advance
Save HK$80 with code EUROPE1706 - book 1 month in advance
- Book up to 180 days in advance
- Regional trains
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
German trains: Intercity (IC)
Intercity and Eurocity trains connect all major cities in Germany.
Intercity (IC) trains and Eurocity (EC) are trains which travel faster than regional trains in Germany. The IC and EC trains travel at a maximum speed of up to 200km/h and as such are categorized just after the Intercity Express (ICE), which are high speed trains. Intercity (IC) trains operate solely in within Germany while Eurocity (EC) trains continue their services to neighbouring countries. Both trains are operated by Deutsche Bahn (DB), the German national railway company. IC and EC have frequent services on core routes.
Popular journeys and travel durations
|Main routes||Travel time|
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- German trains: Intercity (IC) tickets are open for booking 180 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat Reservation :
- Recommended for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket when offered by the train carrier. With the included reservation, you are guaranteed a seat to make your journey more enjoyable.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
The main train station in Berlin, the capital city of Germany is Berlin HBF. It is commonly known as Berlin Central Station. The train station is operated by DB.
|First class||Second class|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|Bar buffet car Access to the bar buffet car where snacks and beverages can be bought. small>|
|Reclining seats Cosy with more legroom, reclining seats are ideal to enjoy the trip. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Your Eurail Italy pass must be validated at a ticket window at a larger train station in Italy only. A railway official will fill in the first and last day of validity and your passport number, and will stamp your Eurail Italy pass, so that it is valid for travel.
Q. Under train tickets and schedules, does the fare represent a per person rate or total for everyone?A. Our "Train Tickets and Schedules" section calculates the total cost of your outbound journey first, and it includes the cost for the number of people that you specify. Once you choose an outbound journey, the costs of the return journey appear.
- A. Your e-ticket is included in the email confirmation you receive from Rail Europe.
- A. - Business class offers the highest class of service in trains. It will include 1st seats, meals , access to lounges, and no restrictions on being exchanged. Flexi First class offers on day train 1st class seat , and are the most exchangeable. Night trains will offer first class couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Meal service may be available for purchase. Best Price First class day trains will also offer 1st class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Meal service may be available for purchase. Night trains will offer first class couchette or sleepers and lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Flexi Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats that are exchangeable. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers and are exchangeable. Best Price Second day trains will offer 2nd class seats with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Night trains offer lower comfort couchette (shared sleeping) or sleepers with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions. Super Saver class is available on night train only and will offer reclingin seats with with lowest ticket prices that may have restrictions.
Q. What is Rail Europe's cancellation policy for passes, point-to-point tickets, overnight trains, and specialty trains?A. Tickets and passes are neither refundable nor replaceable if stolen or lost. Refunds, when applicable, are limited to totally unused, and un-validated passes, tickets and inclusive packages. A minimum 15% cancellation charge applies. Refund amount for tickets will vary depending on the type of fare purchased. Please check the details for more specific refund policies for each ticket. For passes and packages please look at the Terms and Conditions. Sleepers: if cancelled and space released with the station of departure at least 24 hours before train departs, are generally 85% refundable. If reservation is not cancelled, no refund will be granted. Once in Europe, most tickets must be stamped as NOT USED before the Train Departure Date (for reservations) or the 1st day of validity (for tickets and passes) to be entiteled for refund. If you have already purchased your pass or tickets, please review the terms and conditions that come with your documents for specific information about the cancellation policy for each pass or ticket. To receive your refund for pass, documents must be returned to the issuing office within 6 months of the date of issuance (or 1st year depending on the pass). To receive you refund on combined tickets and reservations, they must be returned to the issuing office within 60 days. Click here to get the adress in our Contact Us section.
- A. ICE trains link major German cities from Cologne in the west to Berlin in the east. But they also cross borders and go into France, Switzerland, Belgium, Austria, Denmark and the Netherlands.
- A. To find them you only need to fill in the booking form. This is located on the home page or in the Train Tickets section. Provide us with the cities you would like to travel between and your travel date. A selection of schedules will be displayed. Select later train to see more schedules.
- A.Refund policies for tickets will vary depending on the type of train and fare that are booked. Please check the "details" tab of each fare to obtain specific refund information for the fare you are purchasing.If you have already purchased your tickets, please review the terms and conditions that came with your documents. Except for PayPal, for which the amount can be reimbursed automatically on the PayPal account. For all the other payment services, a BIC (Bank Identifier Code) must be sent to receive the reimbursement of your purchase.
- A. To begin using your pass, go to the ticket window at the rail station before boarding your first train and have a railroad official enter the first and last day of the validity on your pass. The railroad official will also stamp your pass and you will have to show your passport.
Q. Is it possible to travel from Cologne to Brussels by ICE and back by Thalys with a German Rail Pass Extension coupon?A. You can only travel from Cologne to Brussels with ICE trains. The extension is not valid on the Thalys train. There are 4 daily ICE trains between Germany and Belgium.
What is the most economic way to travel from berlin to nuremburg to munich to salzburg then back to berlin? does the german rail (...)I am planning my 12-day trip in Germany in end Dec, from Berlin to Nurnberg, to munich, salzburg, back to munich and Berlin. Can (...)
answered | Posted by Veronica T. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/11/2015
answered | Posted by Marita B. | Comments 0 | Created: 15/07/2015
Reviews & ratings German trains: Intercity (IC)
Overall appreciationExcellent % Very good % Average % Poor % Terrible %
- "awsome" Ashish n. 07/01/2017
nice journey Value for money Convenience
- "Family trip" . 22/12/2016
Good allocated seats. Plenty of storage for luggage. Ran on time.
- "Travel by Rail Europe" Babu n. 19/12/2016
It was a fantastic ride from Frankfurt to Koblenz and from Koblenz to Luxembourg. It was very convenient and in time. The outside view was an enjoyment for our eyes. My wife was with me and she enjoyed a lot. Thanks to Rail Europe. The only draw bag is the ticket booking. We booked our ticket through internet, but we have to collect the ticket from another place. It should be like airline tickets which is issued immediately. Value for money Convenience
- "BERLIN TO DRESDEN BY RAIL" Christopher s. 26/11/2016
This was a very comfortable trip and on time both ends. We found the Berlin main station a bit intimidating as it was on four levels! Value for money Convenience
- "great!! " Astrid m. 15/10/2016
everything went fine. On time, comfortable, good price!! I would travel again in your trains for sure. Value for money Convenience
- "Pretty fine." Michael t. 14/10/2016
Options for travel times from Berlin to Praha were quite limited. Ticket price was reasonable, Value for money Convenience
- "Excellent Cost-Value" Daniel m. 10/10/2016
I recently traveled from Berlin to Prague using the DB system and purchasing the ticket in advance vía Rail Europe. I got a really good rate and could print my ticket without any problem at all. The service was nice, the train departed and arrived on time. I would do do it again. Value for money Convenience
- "Longest ride ever" Willem George f. 21/09/2016
I will rather pay more and fly than take this ride again. There is no scenery and I was counting the minutes of the around 6-hour ride. There was also no dining cart attached to the train, so we could not even go and sit and have a meal to make the time go past. We had 2nd class tickets as that is all that was available, but that was no problem. Reserved seats and comfortable enough seats. Just boring ride and we LOVE train ride. We will only do trains in the future when it is a scenic route. Value for money Convenience
- "between average and good" Mordehay p. 20/09/2016
The lack of a reserved seat was a problem. the train was crowded and we were not comfortable. Value for money Convenience
- "poor trip" Yochanan m. 17/09/2016
We payed good money ahead for the journey. When we got to Leipzig station we were talled that the first class wagen is closed and we have to find a seat alone. It doesn't fit your name. Value for money Convenience
- "Very relaxing trip." . 16/09/2016
Train on time. Platform easy to find and information desk very helpful.
- "All trains" . 13/09/2016
No room for big lugged
- "ditto" Ming-sian b. 04/09/2016
Overall it's good. However, we had problems with connection between local trains and ICE sometimes. We once had a 20 min delay and the coach number shown on the ticket is missing in the real train—it's coac Value for money Convenience
- "Round trip Praha <-> Berlin" Mariana f. 31/08/2016
The trains were good, the service could be better. We also got unlock to have a faulty ticket received from India, where the booking looked correct but the ticket had wrong codes (how am I expect to understand the company's codes), to complicate the situation the crew couldn't speak in English and it took a while for them to understand that we were not traveling for free neither in a wrong train but instead it was a mistake of RailEurope's office while printing our tickets. Everything turned out fine in the end but we had a bit to much stress for what was suppose to be an enjoyable vacation time. Value for money Convenience
- "Scenic trip tp Prague" Kerimi Erden g. 27/08/2016
The train car was a bit old and seats were dirty. However, after we crossed the border to Czech Republic we were served free drinks and newspapers. This was very convenient. Since the railway runs parallel to the river Vltava, the section between Dresden and Prague was very scenic. Value for money Convenience