City Night LineGermany : DB
- Munich - Amsterdam: 10:06
- Book up to 120 days in advance
- Night trains
- Secure cabins with cozy berths
- Save on accommodation
travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
City Night Line
City Night Line. Travel between Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Poland, Austria and Czech Rep.
The City Night Line (CNL), as it name indicates, is an international night train serving cities in Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Poland and the Czech Republic. Some routes operate double-decker sleeping cars, built especially for CNL and offering a truly unique experience. If you need to stretch your legs there’s a lounge carriage on board for you to enjoy a drink, a snack or a light meal and to get to know fellow passengers. Each lounge chair has its own reading lamp and blankets are available upon request. The night train is ideal to save on a night’s accommodation and allows you to travel stress-free. Eat your on board breakfast before reaching your destination.
Popular journeys and travel durations
Popular destinations include Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Prague, Warsaw, Zurich and Rome.
Booking and printing optionsBooking :
- City Night Line tickets are open for booking 120 days ahead.
- Get the lowest prices by booking early and don’t wait until the last minute as cheaper seats sell the fastest.
- Opt for off-peak trains when you have to travel short notice. They are more affordable than morning and evening trains along with those running on holiday eves, Friday and Sunday afternoon.
Printing option(s) :
Receive your ticket directly to your address. Just take them with you and you are ready to travel. Shipping fees apply.
Seat reservation :
- Mandatory for this train! The seat reservation is included in the price of your ticket. Please note that seats are auto-allocated by train carriers. Depending on availabilities, carriers will ensure that all passengers of a same party are seated together. Seats can be swapped only once on-board.
- Pass holders . Book your seat reservation exclusively with Rail Europe.
Experience the service
The City Night Line (CNL) serves stations directly in city centres. It allows you to save time and make the most of European architecture, fine art, culture and history of each and every city.There are some wheelchair accessible cabins plus you can take your bike along on almost all lines.
|First class||First class||Second class||Second class|
|Carrier’s designationName of class of service as you might see on your ticket. small>||Deluxe||Sleeper||Couchettes||Super reclining seats|
|Air conditioned carriages Makes it bliss when travelling during the summer period. small>|
|Comfortable seats Spacious seats with a headrest and generous legroom. small>|
|5-bed cabin The best way for a very comfortable ride in the company of friends or other fellow travellers. small>|
|Washbasin Practical to freshen up anytime during your trip. small>|
|Breakfast The most important meal of the day for a memorable experience. small>|
|Private bathroom Freshen up with a shower or use the WC for more convenience. small>|
Interactive Rail Map
- A. Children 4 and under who do not need a bed travel free and do not require a sleeper reservation or a ticket. If the child is between the ages of 4 - 11 or is under 4 but will require a separate bed, then a special child's fare will apply.
Q.Can I get off the train for a few hours and then get back on later that day if I'm holding a train ticket?A. A ticket that does not include a reservation for a specific train, does allow you to get on and off the train as much as you would like provided that your journey is completed within 2 months. Most tickets now include the reservations within the ticket, and do not permit the traveler to hop on or off the train If you are looking for more freedom to hop on and off the train, a railpass would be the best choice.
- A. Toilets are easily accessible on all the trains and are usually marked with the letters WC. Toilets can usually be found at the front or back of each train car (also known as a coach), and will include a sink, toilet and a locking door.
Q. There is also a train connection from Munich to Prague, can I use these trains to travel to Prague with the coupon?A. No, the German Rail Pass Extension is only valid on the DB Expressbus between Munich/Nuremberg and Prague.
- A. Yes. If you’re on Turista class, you could buy some nice snacks and beverages to a bar buffet car. On Ave First class, a catering service will deliver you some meal and beverages directly to your seat. You could also get access to an A la Carte service at seat and even a bar service.
- A. You can print your Lyria ticket directly from your printer at home or, alternatively, you can retrieve it from the self-service machines available at the train stations in France only before boarding your Lyria train.
- A. TGV Lyria is a high speed train and requires a compulsory reservation. Special pass holder fares are available if you carry a Eurail Pass covering France or Switzerland, Swiss Pass or France Rail Pass but subject to limited availability.
- A. The best-selling Eurail Global Pass offers unlimited, 1st Class train travel in 24 European countries: Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Bulgarian Denmark, Finland, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, France, Ireland, Italy, Hungary, Netherlands, Norway, Luxembourg, Romania, Slovenia, Portugal, Slovakia, Switzerland, Spain, Sweden and Turkey. Choices range from 15 consecutive days to 3 months of travel or 10 and 15 flexible days within a 2-month time period, plus money-saving Eurail Global Pass bonuses. The Eurail Select Pass provides unlimited train travel for the duration you select in your choice of any 3, 4 or 5 countries that border each other, as well as attractive bonuses. Select from Austria, Benelux (Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands), Bulgaria/Serbia/Montenegro, Croatia/Slovenia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and Turkey.
- A. Sorry, partially used passes are not refundable.
- A. No. You have to buy your Eurail Select Pass before travelling to Europe. Eurail passes can be bought up to six months in advance of your travel date.
answered | Posted by Mohammed S. | Comments 0 | Created: 10/09/2016
answered | Posted by Alice L. | Comments 0 | Created: 28/06/2016
answered | Posted by Prashant K. | Comments 0 | Created: 27/06/2016
answered | Posted by Patricia C. | Comments 4 | Created: 28/05/2016
answered | Posted by sneha a. | Comments 1 | Created: 13/05/2016
Reviews & ratings City Night Line
Overall rating (124)
Overall appreciationExcellent 26% Very good 33% Average 20% Poor 10% Terrible 11%
- "Uncomfortable" Kam Chuen c. 15/06/2016
The T3 cabin was really really tiny and I wish I have known this before booking. Would have booked two cabins instead. Could hardly move inside the cabin. This attendant was quite rude. Would never try this again. Value for money Convenience
- "Overnight train Venice/Munich" Thi Thuy Tien n. 20/02/2016
It was my first experience traveling with an overnight train. It departed and arrived on time. The beds were comfortable enough to get a good rest. The ordering of the tickets has to be carefully planned though since they were shipped from India to Europe. Otherwise everything was perfectly fine and the price was well worth the effort. Value for money Convenience
- "nice experience" Yee Wun t. 26/01/2016
nice and helpful staff, comfortable bed. cheap price with good service. Value for money Convenience
- "Great Sleep" Robert o. 21/01/2016
The transfer to the CNL went without a hitch and we were met on the train by our attentive night porter. Amazing service from the moment we got on board. Seeing that we were a family of 3 travelling with a lot of luggage, the porter opened up the adjoining cabin so that we had double the space. Chilli and Beers turned up to ensure we were well fed before bedtime! Based on this experience, i would definitely consider doing this again in the future. Can't rate highly enough. Value for money Convenience
- "Superb " . 30/11/2015
Convenience and excellence service. Only a bit delay ;)
- "Europe by train" Mohammadidrees b. 23/11/2015
We travelled from Zurich to Amsterdam by City Night Line it was first announced "cancelled" then departed on time and arrived two hours late , compartment was very small . Value for money Convenience
- "Lekker train ride." Marius Johan s. 13/10/2015
Thank you so much for an really enjoyable adventure. Seeing that this was our first time traveling by train in Europa it was a great experience. Traveling by City Night Line gave us time to relax and sleep well. Much better than flying. Value for money Convenience
- "Great!" Amanda e. 12/10/2015
Clean, friendly staff, loved it. Value for money Convenience
- "Good experience" Laura b. 16/06/2015
Overall the experience was positive. It was a great value for the money paid and was very convenient with the timing of the overnight train taken. We left the originating station a little late and it would have been nice to have more of the announcements in English, but everything was fine. Value for money Convenience
- "big savings" Joel t. 08/06/2015
i saved 1 night of hotel/hostel by taking a night train from Venice to Munich. The train departed and arrived on time. Ride was smooth and comfortable though the space was tiny but for Asian built like me it is absolutely alright. The view was incredible when we were crossing Austria-Germany border. All those rolling hills with patches of red roof houses and endless spring flowers. Get up at around 5 am and stay in corridors to catch the view and sunrise. Would definitely try CNL again and recommend to my fellow travelers. Value for money Convenience
- "Nice scenery along the journey" Ho Lun Alan w. 08/06/2015
There was a charger to charge any electronics along the way, which is value adding. Value for money Convenience
- "Very Good" . 21/05/2015
This is the first time I travel by train in Europe. It is a very nice experience. The train is very clean and the cabin is very comfortable. The breakfast is also good.
- "Great deal" Cleber c. 07/05/2015
Great deal for the price. However, the beds are a bit small. Value for money Convenience
- "tickets" Johanna s. 05/05/2015
We bought the tickets through NZ, but were not able to print them ourselves. Very inconvenient. The journey itself was problem free Value for money Convenience
- "My feedback" Som Nath t. 05/04/2015
The coaches were very cozy and comfortable, while hygiene level in the WC was also very high. Amazing coffee served in the morning...thanks for memorable on-time service. Value for money Convenience