Swiss Half Fare CardSwiss Travel System
- Offers 50% discount to use trains, buses, boats and public transportations in 75 cities.
- Children under 16 travel for free.
5.5 milliontravellers in 2015
75+years of rail travel experience
Switzerland can be discovered by trains, buses, boats and scenic mountain trains. Use the Swiss half fare card to get one month’s of half-price travel, while children under 16 travel free of charge when accompanied by an adult who is a holder of a Swiss Family Card.
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the Swiss Half Fare Card. Please note that residents of Switzerland and Liechtenstein are not eligible.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
How to use a rail pass?
Most trains in Switzerland do not require reservations. You can simply board with your rail pass and take any open seat.
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
- 50% discount when travelling on board trains.
- 50% discount when using urban public transport in 75 towns.
- Free travel for children under 16, accompanied by a parent, holder of a Swiss Family Card.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
Offering unlimited travel in Switzerland, one of the most beautiful destinations in Europe. Discover the snow-capped mountains, green landscape and tidy little towns. Visit Bern, Montreux, Geneva and other major cities of Switzerland.
- A. TGV offers two different classes of travel: 1st and 2nd class. Larger seats that recline electronically, power sockets for laptop or mobile phone and access to the bar buffet car are among the main features you will find in TGV first class. In second class, you will enjoy comfortable seats with also an access to the bar-buffet car where you can choose from a vast selection of dishes and beverages.
- A. Toilets are easily accessible on all the trains and are usually marked with the letters WC. Toilets can usually be found at the front or back of each train car (also known as a coach), and will include a sink, toilet and a locking door.
Q. Should Eurostar, Thalys and other High Speed Train tickets be purchased prior to your departure date?A. Many trains such as the Eurostar offer discounted tickets for advance purchase. These fares have limited availability and sell out quickly. To receive the best price on the train you want to travel on you should purchase your tickets prior to your departure so you can avoid fully booked trains.
- A. You can buy all your AVE tickets trains quickly and easily online, with no booking fee, and print them in the convenience of your home.
Q. When I select the box that says I have a pass I am not receiving any schedules, but when I do not select the box that says I have a pass I receive schedules. Why can't I book a reservation with a Pass?A. The train you are requesting does not offer reservations. Please note the train time for your travel information. To board this train you will need your pass and can take any available seat.
- A. Not presently but as soon as European railways introduce e-tickets, we will be able to offer them.
- A. No you can’t. You need to buy your Swiss pass before coming to Europe.
- A. Many passes offer travel days that are flexible. The 4 days of travel allow the traveler to choose the days that they want to travel in a 2 month time period. Example: If a pass is valid from July 1 to August 31. The traveler can then select 4 dates to travel on the train from July 1 to August 31. The days can be consecutive or non consecutive.
- A. Due to the limited availability on overnight trains, if you must change your sleeper reservation, try to do so immediately. You can visit the local station at least 24 hours prior to the train's departure and see what is available. Be aware that your reservation change may be subject to local service fees and/or upgrade charges. Reservations are required for sleepers and couchettes on all overnight trains and can be made up to 60 days in advance.
Q. Under train tickets and schedules, does the fare represent a per person rate or total for everyone?A. Our "Train Tickets and Schedules" section calculates the total cost of your outbound journey first, and it includes the cost for the number of people that you specify. Once you choose an outbound journey, the costs of the return journey appear.
answered | Posted by ieesh s. | Comments 0 | Created: 17/02/2017
answered | Posted by Yee C. | Comments 2 | Created: 17/02/2017
answered | Posted by Aditya J. | Comments 5 | Created: 16/02/2017
answered | Posted by garima . | Comments 0 | Created: 13/02/2017
answered | Posted by Mangesh . | Comments 0 | Created: 29/01/2017