European East PassNational Passes
- Unlimited travel in Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria and Hungary.
- Children under 4 travel for free.
The European East Pass is the most comprehensive pass to visit the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria and Hungary.
All four countries have a rich cultural and historical background. Discover Slovakia, the gateway to Eastern Europe and UNESCO World Heritage sites in the Czech Republic and Austria. Have a relaxing moment in one of the excellent thermal baths in Hungary.
The European East Pass allows you unlimited travel with the freedom to hit the tracks whenever and wherever you want! You can take as many trains as you like and there is no limit on the distance you can travel within a travel day. All of this at a fixed price.
Hop on and off trains at any time according to your desires and encounters. Just show up at the nearest train station and get ready to go and explore a new destination. (See ‘Things to know’ for more information about seat reservations).
The European East Pass is packed with bonuses to make your trip even more enjoyable. Hotel discounts, reduced museum fares and more are included in your pass.
Whether you are the adventurous traveller or the avid planner the European East Pass is your pass to freedom and the key to an unforgettable trip!
Things to know
Who can buy a rail pass?Any person living outside the participating countries can use the European East Pass.
A seat reservation is a guaranteed seat on board a train.
Seat reservations are compulsory for high speed, international and night trains. However, as you will be travelling with a rail pass, you will only have to pay for a small reservation fee, as opposed to the usual standard fare.
Seats are generally available for reservation up to 90 days prior to departure and are limited. Book early to secure your seat!
We are not currently offering online seat reservations for high speed, international and night trains covered by the BritRail passes.You can book your seat reservation directly from train stations once you are in the United Kingdom.
Most regional trains do not require a seat reservation. Just hop on board with a valid rail pass, find a seat and relax as the train takes you to one of the many destinations served.
How to use a rail pass?
You must start using your rail pass within 6 months of the date of purchase.
To start using your rail pass, go to a European railway station where a railway official will fill-in your passport number and stamp your rail pass. On each travel day, please remember to write down the date on your rail pass.
Passengers travelling without having written down the above information risk a fine and payment of a full fare ticket.
A travel day lasts 24 hours from midnight to midnight.You can take as many trains as you want during a travel day.
The 7 pm rule allows you to benefit from a free travel day if the following conditions are met:
- Your pass should be activated.
- You must travel on board a night train departing after 7 pm and this should be your first trip of the day.
- You must reach your destination after 4 am on the next day.
- Your arrival date should be within the validity of the pass.
The validity is the number of travel days of a rail pass.
For a rail pass with a validity of 5 days within 1 month. If you activate your rail pass on the 1st of the month, you can travel on the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 12th and 30th of this month.
Rail pass benefits
Most rail passes include discounts and bonuses. Save money and make the most of your trip with your rail pass.
When available you will get hotel discounts, free entrance to museums, discounted boat trips and more.
Interactive Rail Map
Use our interactive travel map to plan your trip and view the rail network of each country covered by your rail pass.
- A. Breakfast is served before 11:00 a.m.; lunch is served between 11:00 a.m. and 2:00pm A snack is served between 2:00pm and 5:00pm Dinner is served after 5:00pm.
- A. Our popular Swiss Card provides 1 roundtrip by rail from any Swiss airport or border to 1 single destination. It also includes a 50% discount on all Swiss railways, lake steamers, postal buses, and excursions to mountaintops.
- A. There are no check-in or customs procedures before boarding ICE trains. Just be aware that for international destinations, ticket control and passport checks will occur on boarding the train. And if you are a pass holder, just remember that you have to validate your pass prior to boarding the ICE trains.
- A. Timetables for European Train schedules can be difficult to read and determine what the trains are running. For fast and easy schedule results view our train times on our Train Tickets and Schedules page to view each route.
- A. Special amenities for disabled travelers are offered on trains and at many train stations, and are clearly indicated with pictograms (for telephones, toilets, elevators, etc.). Special equipment is also available for use by handicapped passengers. This equipment must be reserved locally in advance. Be sure to specify if you need personal assistance (whether with a wheelchair, boarding, etc.).
Q. When I select the box that says I have a pass I am not receiving any schedules, but when I do not select the box that says I have a pass I receive schedules. Why can't I book a reservation with a Pass?A. The train you are requesting does not offer reservations. Please note the train time for your travel information. To board this train you will need your pass and can take any available seat.
- A. Yes, non-smoking cars are available on all trains. Most high- speed trains are now completely non-smoking and all reservations are requested in non-smoking coaches when both options are available. There is no smoking on all trains in France, Italy, Norway, Germany, Austria, Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxemburg, and Switzerland.
- A. Your payment details will be encoded and sent using a secure connection. You can check the security details by clicking with your right mouse button on the payment page and then selecting ‘Properties’. A window will pop up containing all connection data. The ‘Connection’ field shows that an SSL connection is used. Your credit card information, including the number and expiration date, will not be stored.
- A. All 1 st class passes are valid for travel in all sleeper accommodations. If you have a 2 nd class pass, you are able to travel in T3 compartments and couchettes. Some T4 compartments are offered in 1 st and 2 nd class. Please be sure to check the details of the fare for the train you wish to travel on to determine what class the T4 is offered in.
- A. Reservation is compulsory on Italo. When you buy a ticket for Italo, the reservation is included. Please note that if have even if you have a Rail Pass which includes Italy, you need a separate ticket to travel on board the Italo. Passholder fares do not apply to Italo.
answered | Posted by ROSANNA L. | Comments 2 | Created: 01/04/2016
answered | Posted by Wei M. | Comments 2 | Created: 15/01/2016
answered | Posted by Samuel K. | Comments 0 | Created: 20/10/2015
answered | Posted by SIU K. | Comments 3 | Created: 03/08/2015
We have bought european east pass, but we cannot have seat reservation for en476 (20:05) from budapest to prague on 11 july (...)We have bought European East pass, but we cannot have seat reservation for EN476 (20:05) from Budapest to Prague on 11 july 2015 (...)
answered | Posted by Sam Y. | Comments 0 | Created: 25/06/2015
Reviews & ratings European East Pass
Overall rating (19)
Overall appreciationExcellent 43% Very good 25% Average 22% Poor 5% Terrible 5%
- "European East Pass" Gautam m. 25/08/2015
The train journeys were very picturesque. The fast trains are very comfortable. We did not like: 1. The trains from Vienna to Budapest ans return 2. No direct trains from Salzburg to Prague Value for money Convenience
- "Knowledge of the pass" Trevor i. 09/02/2015
We were surprised to learn that the officials of the trams in the cities which this pass covered were unaware of the passes. We found in the W European countries that we had such a wide use of the pass where here it was limited to the inter-city trains. Value for money Convenience
- "Train" Pui Ming w. 08/02/2015
The train is on time, easy to locate. All trains are new and clean, except the one from prague to CK which is very crowded, hot and a bit dirty. Overall I enjoy traveling with the train pass which is very convenient and easy for budgeting. I will definitely consider buying train pass again in my next trip. Value for money Convenience
- "great home travel with humens" Narendra g. 29/11/2014
i travel with great comfort i met wonderful and homely , helpful and real humens comfortable trains , timings , lovely stations i wish all to use train only during our travel in east of europe Value for money Convenience
- "Lots of options!" Paola p. 28/03/2014
Travelled alone with low budget in Central Europe. Very comfortable trains and the price was worth every penny. Trains leave main stations every one or two hours so it is very easy to travel. Always leaving on time except Budapest - Bratislava (delayed due to technical problems). Other than that I always arrived to my destination as planned. Would buy the East Pass again. Enough seats and space for luggage. Value for money Convenience
- "Krakow to Praha" Man Shan l. 02/12/2013
As second-class tickets, we wouldn't ask for more. There was about 3 hours break in the mid-night and the train was keep switching tracks ! No one told us what happened... Value for money Convenience