travellers in 2015
years of rail travel experience
The national railway company of Finland is known as VR. Finland has over 5,900 km of railway network. Train tickets for trains operating in Finland can be booked in advance. International trains connect Finland with the neighbouring Russia. Book train tickets to visit main cities of Finland by train. Finnish cities including Helsinki, Turku and Kemi are all served by trains.
Soak up the buzz of the coastal capital Helsinki with its lively harbour and elegant Senate Square. Hop on the VR train to Finland’s oldest city Turku and its medieval castle and to Rauma’s 16th-century wooden houses and visit Santa Claus in Rovaniemi in Lapland.
Take the train through Finland to see reindeer in the Lapland wilderness and get active with trekking, canoeing and cross-country skiing. Sail across island archipelagos off the Finnish coast or be wowed by the Northern Lights in the Arctic Circle.
Shop for high-end fashion, quirky jewellery and antiques in Helsinki’s Design District or visit Marimekko for contemporary fashion and interiors. In Finnish Lapland, buy wooden gifts handcrafted by the local Sami communities.
Eat & Drink
Tuck into fresh salmon, rainbow trout and perch from Finland’s inland lakes or sample reindeer stew in Lapland. Try Karelian beef and pork hotpot in Karelia, pork and black pudding stew rössypottu in Oulu and treat yourself to baked leipäjuusto cheese with cloudberry jam.
Travel east from Helsinki by train to Finland’s majestic Lakeland region, passing dense forest and huge lake en route to picturesque Savonlinna with its impressive medieval castle.
Rail Pass benefits in Finland
- 20 to 40% discount on ferry crossings from Helsinki –Stockholm (via Mariehamn), Turku – Stockholm (via Mariehamn or Langnas) and Helsinki – Tallinn operated by Tallink Silja Oy company. 20% discount applies for high season and 40% discount applies for the low season discount is 40%. More information from Tallink Silja Oy. All reductions are available for Cabins that are category C-A. Port taxes are extra.
- 30% reduction is offered on the ferry crossing between Helsinki-Travemünde operated by Finnlines company. Port tax and meals are extra and are paid locally.
- Special rate on ferry crossings from Turku/Helsinki – Stockholm and Helsinki-Tallinn operated by Vikings Line company.
Free bus travel from Kemi/Tornio to Harparanda (Sweden) on buses operated by Veljekset Salmela.
- Free entry to the Narrow-gauge railway museum in Jokioinen. Open from June to mid-August.
- Free entry to the Railway museum Hyvinkää.